Side of Beef
Idaho Mountain Meats
Side of Beef Options
Ordering & Pricing
Why Order Custom Beef
- You know you are economically filling your family freezer for months to come with healthy and locally-produced Idaho grass-fed beef – supporting Idaho ranchers.
- You know that your beef is being locally processed in a small butcher shop that is custom-cut to your families desires – supporting Idaho small business.
- If you are ever unsatisfied, we are here to make it right – offering peace of mind!
How Does It Work
- Order: You provide us with your orders specifics below, or fill out and submit the order form.
- Deposit: We respond to you with any questions that we may have about your submission, confirm your order, and send you a deposit request. The deposit for quarter beef is $250.00 and $500.00 for a half or whole beef.
- Process: Once we’ve received your deposit, we process your beef.
- Payment: We send you an invoice (minus your deposit) upon processing for payment.
- Delivery/Pick-Up: We deliver or arrange for pick-up of your beef (Free within Treasure Valley)!
How Much Beef Should I Expect?
Obviously, it depends on the size of the beef and the size of your order. The beef we process are slightly smaller than average beef marketed in the grocery store. Why? Simply… they provide a better product. Most of our customers prefer smaller cuts of meat that are higher quality. We sell our beef by the “Hanging Weight” of the carcass. This is obtained by weighing the sides of the hot beef carcass on the rail prior to cooling and aging.
Hanging Weight of Your Beef
The “hanging weight” of a carcass is approximately 60-65% of the live weight of the animal. The hanging weight is obtained once the initial slaughter process is complete. The average hanging weight of a whole beef that we process is: approximately 500 pounds for whole, 250 pounds for half/side. Please remember that these are rough averages and the actual weight can vary by the time of year and size of each individual beef.
Finished Weight Of Your Beef
The amount of beef that you actually receive will depend on the types of cuts that you select. The finished weight of most beef orders is approximately 60-70% of the hanging weight. For example, if you have a 250 pound hanging weight side of beef you would generally receive approximately 175 pounds of packaged beef that is ready to be cooked. In general, the more cuts that you select with bones the greater percentage the finished weight of your processed beef will be.
The price of our Idaho grass-fed and finished beef is $4.25/lb for whole, $4.50 for half/side.
How Is the Total Cost Determined and What is the Price/Pound to My Door?
- Whole Beef Pricing: The cost of your beef order is determined by the price of our whole beef ($4.25) multiplied by the hanging weight of your order. For example, if your whole beef had a hanging weight of 500 lbs, your cost would be approximately $2,125.00 ($4.25 x 500lbs = $2,125.00 + tax).
- If you received an average order that yielded 65% of your hanging weight, the price per pound of a whole beef to your door would be approximately $6.53/lb. That is for all of the different cuts…rib eye steaks, T-bone, roasts, etc.
- Side/Half Beef Pricing: The cost of your side of beef order is determined by the price of our whole beef ($4.50) multiplied by the hanging weight of your order. For example, if your side of beef had a hanging weight of 250 lbs, your cost would be approximately $1,125.00 ($4.50 x 250lbs = $1,125.00 + tax).
- If you received an average order that yielded 65% of your hanging weight, the price per pound of a whole beef to your door would be approximately $6.91/lb. That is for all of the different cuts…rib eye steaks, T-bone, etc.
Is This Economical?
Absolutely! Even if you just consider the direct economic benefits and that the average price of grass-fed beef burger in the Boise area is between $6.00/lb and $10.00/lb you are saving a lot of money. In a recent inquiry of local markets, I found that the grass-fed rib eye steaks cost between $16.00 and $22.00 per pound (OUCH!). So, in general you are receiving all of the cuts of meat within a quarter/side/whole beef for less than the average price of ground beef. In addition, you have secured and guaranteed your price and are not subject to the regular fluctuations of food prices. Not to mention the fact that most consumers purchase more products at the store than what they actually need for a meal, which indirectly increases their monthly food costs.
On top of all of the direct economic benefits, you have the added benefit of knowing that you did the right thing for your family. You’ve provided them with locally produced grass-fed beef that is safely and humanely handled in a clean environment. This ensures that we are all providing the best lives that we can for the cattle that we consume and the families that we feed, right here in Idaho!
We deliver free within the Treasure Valley, but certainly provide beef to customers well outside of the local area! We will work with you on shipping or other delivery arrangements, but it may result in some additional costs.
Please contact us with any questions, comments, or feedback that you have.
We are always interested in hearing from you and appreciate your interest!
Kuna, Idaho 83634